Monday, October 4, 2010

Green Curry: Thai style

I love Thai-style green curry.  The heat, the creaminess of the coconut, the veggies. delicious.  I made this curry for a client a few months ago and they loved it, so I wanted to try it for myself.  I used a green curry paste for this batch but made the curry myself for my client... I prefer home made curry, so I'll include the recipe for that.  This dish is delicious with tofu or chicken, here I used some leftover seitan.

I eat it alone, but you can toss it over some rice for a true Thai feeling.
I forgot to add the cilantro in the dish before I shot the photo, but the cilantro adds a great burst of flavor.

Thai Green Curry with Cauliflower, Potatoes and Fresh Seitan


2 Tablespoons green curry paste (some have more heat than others, so taste as you go)
sea salt to taste
2 14-ounce can coconut milk
1 large onion, sliced
6 ounces of fresh seitan, sliced (if it's packaged in liquid, rinse off the seitan first)
1 medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
2 medium russet potatoes, cut into a medium dice
squeeze of fresh lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
2 sticks of lemongrass, bruised

In a large dutch oven or thick bottomed pot over medium heat whisk the curry paste with the salt and a small splash of the coconut milk. Simmer for just a minute. Add the onion, cauliflower, potatoes & seitan and allow flavors to marry. Taste and adjust for flavor - add more sea salt and green curry if you'd like. Add the rest of the coconut milk, and the two sticks of lemongrass and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender (remove lemongrass before eating)

Finish the dish with a squeeze of lime and cilantro leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
free range chicken, asparagus, potato, pea, basil curry
Serves 4.

* The green curry paste recipe
2 Thai hot chilies, minced
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1 teaspoon chopped galangal
1/2 teaspoon chopped kaffir lime rind
1 tablespoon chopped lemongrass
1 tablespoon chopped krachai
1/4 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon roasted coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt

Throw all the ingredients in a food processor and make into a paste - or you use a mortar in pestle if you'd like a nice arm workout - start with the first two ingredients and then add the remainders one by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment