Saturday, October 9, 2010

Quality of Life

Since moving to Park Slope I can say that Joe and my quality of life has greatly improved.  We live next to one of the most beautiful parks (Prospect Park), near some fantastic markets (two farmers markets and the Park Slope Coop), and next to some fabulous restaurants.  Brooklyn has a decidedly more relaxed and welcoming feel to it and after 2.5 years of living in the East Village I finally won the Brooklyn war and am back in the borough that I love so much.
Aquinnah happily swimming with her floating frisbee

Not only is the living better for Joe and I (we have a bigger apartment, a backyard and a roof to hang out in/on) but Aquinnah has the perks of living next to a dog run AND a pristine park where she can run off leash (legally before 9am, but no one has stopped us during the day).  Prospect Park before 9am is a dog paradise.  You see City dogs rolling in the grass, fetching tennis balls, and swimming.  Today we discovered a dog pond (a fenced in dog pond).  Brooklynites take their dog's well-being very seriously and I have never seen as many happy dogs in one area as I did this morning.

off 9th street entrance in the park
I like to enter at the 9th street entrance because I love my morning ritual of ice coffee from Colson's Bakery on 6th Ave. and 9th Street.  People that say you shouldn't have big dogs in the City apparently have not seen how well many dogs are treated in Brooklyn.

City dogs I've noticed bark less, get along with other dogs better and are included on more "family outings".  We often take Aquinnah out on errands, out for dinner (when it's warm out and she can sit outside with us) or out for drinks (many bars in Brooklyn allow dogs inside).  Aquinnah goes to the park AT LEAST once a day and out for a run with me a few times a week.   I wouldn't go as far as to say that our life revolves around our dog, but since moving to Brooklyn everything has fallen into place and life with a dog has become much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment