Sunday, September 26, 2010

Big Salad Bowl

There are few things I find more satisfying than a big salad with loads of different ingredients.  Last night I roasted some brussel sprouts and asparagus tips in olive oil with sea salt and pepper.  I made brown rice with miso broth, I toasted and chopped some almonds, poached an egg on the rice while it was steaming, and added a little raw goat's blue cheese and some sprouted garbanzo beans.  It was totally satisfying, healthy and delicious.  Also, I discovered the most fantastic large and sturdy salad bowls (http://www.fishseddy.com/browse.cfm/4,1444.html) they come in deliciously lovely colours.

After reading Eating Animals, I've decided to go back to my vegetarian ways and to stay away from meat of all sorts.  It's been easy so far, luckily having been to school for vegetarian cooking, I love trying creative meals that satisfy both me and my meat loving boyfriend.

The hardest challenge has been eating out.  We just moved from the East Village where there were tons of vegetarian friendly restaurants within walking distance to Park Slope, where one would think there would be a lot of vegetarian friendly restaurants, but there aren't too many creative ones! I've noticed my inclination for eating out has lessened and I'm much more happy to cook for myself and Joe even after a long day of cooking for clients.

I'll share some fun recipes along the way.  This week, I'm going to try and make a quinoa loaf with cooked quinoa, chickpea puree and roasted veggies.  I made it for a client and they loved it, so it's time to try it out for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment