Thursday, September 9, 2010

Miso.... The fall is here!

Well, officially I have my trusty Skidmore sweatshirt on and I'm sitting on my couch with a down blanket covering my legs ... I do have the window open and feel cozy under my layers with the autumn breeze sweeping into the room.  It seems as though in one day the leaves on my street have turned from vibrant green to pumpkin orange.   Goose bumps covered my skin today when I left the apartment in summer clothing and had to warm myself up upon returning with my first cup of hot tea in months. 



What better way to welcome the cooler weather than with a big bowl of miso soup.  I used ingredients sitting in our refrigerator from the farmer's market last Sunday: diced red pepper, broccoli, a spiraled white beet (which tastes amazingly spicy, like a huge radish), I added some buckwheat noodles, sprouted smoked tofu and an egg.


It was perfect and our house guest attested to it's warming and comforting properties.  Miso is notoriously healing in the Japanese culture, the matza ball soup of Japan.  There are many different varieties of  of miso, all of which are delicious.  I had red miso in the refrigerator which is why my soup is darker.  Usually I mix it with some mellow miso which is sweet and lightens the soup.


Miso Soup is great because you can add any veggies or meat to the soup and it's just as delicious.  One thing to note about miso, is you should not boil the water once the miso is in it as it destroys many of its healing powers. 


Enjoy the fall! Soon, fall recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment